Trails Momentum provides its students with three, distinct education tracks that support a growth mindset and allow students to reimagine their academic potential:
- College Credit. Trails Momentum students can earn six credits from Western State Colorado University. Credits can be transferred as elective credits.
- GED© and HiSET© Preparation. Trails Momentum faculty can help students prepare for either the GED© or HISET© exams.
- High School Completion. Trails Momentum’s Academic Director will assess a student’s academic record to identify a plan of study that allows students to move forward toward high school graduation.
Trails Momentum’s accredited, experienced instructors have thoughtfully designed educational programming to meet the needs of their students. Contextualized teaching methods with multiple opportunities to apply and practice new skills and behaviors encourage students to retain and internalize critical concepts for healthy adult living. Whether role-playing a leadership scenario in class or using a compass to navigate the forest, students embody the content and own their academic successes.
All Trails Momentum students attend two academic seminars, Principles of Outdoor Recreation and Outdoor Adventure Introduction to Communication and Leadership. These courses invite students to learn and discuss various concepts, including the following:
- Communicating Emotions
- Managing Conflict
- Improving Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication
- Enhancing Leadership Presence
- Empowering Others
- Coaching and Giving Feedback
- Practicing Leave No Trace Principles
- Navigating with Map and Compass
- Planning a Backcountry Expedition
Designed to maximize student participation for students with varying learning abilities, class sizes are small, and instructors work to individualize instruction based on student needs. Students can choose to earn college credit through Western State Colorado University.
Dr. Sarah Parlier, the Director of Student Development at Trails Momentum discusses academics at our young adult program.
If your son or daughter often feels stuck in life, and can’t seem to find the path they should be on, the most important thing they can do is adopt a growth mindset. Once they’ve shifted into this new mentality, it will be easier to remain resilient in the face of difficult circumstances and come out stronger on the other side.
Developing a growth mindset can be difficult without the right environment. That’s where Trails Momentum comes in. Every day that they spend at Trails Momentum will offer new challenges to overcome, and friendly guidance along the way. This is the place where they don’t need to be afraid of failure.
See what young adults have to say about our adventure therapy program.
Accreditations Reflect High Education Standards
Accrediting body that sets standards to help schools improve.
Registration with North Carolina helps ensure academic standards
Our College Prep Courses follow the NC Essential Standards
Trails Momentum and its team of highly experienced educators have deliberately designed educational programming to meet the needs of its students. Whether in a classroom environment, the river, or the backcountry, we partner with our students to help them reengage in learning. In just a week, students will have the opportunity to:
– Take classes taught by accredited, experienced instructors
– Study their natural environment by exploring the woods and waterfalls around base camp
– Test their problem-solving abilities by successfully navigating the backcountry
– Practice time management by preparing an itinerary for a multi-day excursion
– Learn about themselves by developing Mindfulness and other interpersonal skills